Sunday, January 1, 2012

Long Fall Boots -How to

I recently played Portal 2 and decided that I wanted to cosplay Chell. I searched all over for a way to make the long fall boots, without a heel, but I didn't see anything I liked. Finally I talked to my dad  about it and he gave me some grate pointers. So to all you out there who want to  make some long fall boots of your very own, here is what I came up with.

I started with a pair of plain old (actually new) black boots. On the boots I got the zipper was blown out on each boot, so I decided to cover them over and take the boots on/off a different way. 

I covered one of the boots in masking tape then sketched out a pattern for the raised part of the long fall boots.


As carefully as I could I removed the tape for the boot, it was not an easy task. After I finally got the tape off I transferred the pattern to a piece of construction paper. Then, leaving about a half inch of extra material, traced the pattern onto a sheet of thick leather.

Cutting the leather pattern was a feat of pure will power. Once it was finally done I soaked the leather cutouts in water for about a half hour until they became soft and pliable.
While the leather cutouts were soaking I stuffed the boots full of packing paper so they could hold their shape and provide a template for the leather pieces. 
They are wrapped it tape so the broken zippers don't pop open. Also I had to cut open the one on the left to get my foot out after coating it in masking tape. That will play in later.
Once the leather had soaked long enough I positioned each piece on it's respective boot and wrapped the whole mess in stretch wrap. The leather has to dry out over night so that it will hold it's new shape. Once it is dry I can start the fine tuning process. This is all I have for now. Hopefully the leather is dry tomorrow. I am aiming to have these done in time for ALA this Friday for a test run. I plan on having the full costume done for anime expo in the end of June. Full costume being  Chell's threads the long fall boots and a Wheatley puppit similar  to this one. I may make a blog about making him also.

No comments:

Post a Comment